The area is rich in birdlife. You might see:
- capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus), scandinavias biggest fowl. Males may be really aggressive under mating in early spring, attacking people.
- eurasian woodcock (Scolopax rusticola) or the similar common snipe (Gallinago gallinago). Shy, well tarned birds that fly up right in front of you.
- white throated dipper (Cinclus cinclus). Norway's national bird. Dives after larvae it finds under water. Often in places the water is wild.
- canada goose (Branta canadensis). Introduced to norway from canada. Is believed to spread fish parasites. Meat tastes tawny.
- osprey (Pandion haliaetus). Breeds on the sheer cliffs you see downstream. Eats large fish which it snatches out of the water.