The Reichstag was designed by architect Paul Wallot and built between 1884 and 1894 in the style of the Italian High Renaissance. It served as seat of parliament in the Kaiserreich and the Weimarer Republic. In 1933, a fire of unknown origin destroyed the plenary chamber. It is unclear whether it was an accident or set by national socialists to secure power. The last battle of WWII ruined the building.
In 1948, 300,000 inhabitants of West Berlin assembled in front of the Reichstag to demonstrate against the Berlin blockade by the Soviets. Ernst Reuter, the mayor of West Berlin, made an open plea to the international community for help. After reunification, the parliament voted for Berlin and the Reichstag to serve as the new seat of the Bundestag (the German government). In 1995, the artist Christo used the building for an art project still known worldwide as "Wrapped Reichstag" because he packed the entire building in silver fabric. Between 1995 and 1999 the building was rebuilt and renovated by architect Norman Foster. Since, 1999 the Reichstag has served as the seat of the parliament.
The glass dome and the roof terrace are open to the public, but you have to book a tour in advance.