The Cadigal people called Darling Harbour "Tumbalong," meaning a place where seafood is found. After 1788, white settlers renamed the area "Cockle Bay" after the quantity of shell refuse left behind by generations of the original inhabitants.
During the 19th century, the location was used as a working port to ferry produce from Parramatta and the north coast and to transport timber. It gradually grew to become Australia's busiest seaport. After World War II, the port declined in its operations due to the establishment of Port Botany. By the 1970s Darling Harbour was derelict. In 1988, during Australia's bicentennial belebrations, it was reopened in all its glory by Queen Elizabeth.
IMAX Theater provides the world's largest IMAX screen (eight stories high). So why not obtain boasting rights by watching a 3-D movie here?
31 Wheat Rd., Darling Harbour
Phone: (02) 9281 3300
Hours: 9:45am (or 15 minutes before the first screening if later) - fifteen minutes after the commencement of the last listed screening (varies)