Fountain of the Four Rivers
This is Bernini's most famous fountain, built between 1648 and 1651, right in the center of Navona square, facing the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone, whose majestic façade was completed by rival architect Francesco Borromini. Four statues represent four rivers, symbols of four parts of the world: the Danube for Europe, the Nile for Africa, the Rio de la Plata for the Americas and the Ganges for Asia.
Check out the huge statue of the man representing the Rio de la Plata, with a hand raised above his face. As Roman locals often recount, Bernini made the statue appear as if it was protecting itself from the church's façade, so poorly built that it is likely to fall upon it as a mockery of his rival Borromini. The fountain was actually built before the church was completed.
From here a gentle stroll mainly along the Corso Vittorio Emanuele will take you into the heart of the Jewish Ghetto and Piazza Mattei, with its original Turtle Fountain.