The Great Arsenal
The Great Arsenal Bastion is located on Old Mill and now best known for its Lifestyle and Design Centre which is located here, an initiative of the famous designer Jan des Bouvrie. The building was originally built in 1688 as storage for military equipment, primarily as a weapon warehouse. The adjacent square was used as a ball park, where pyramid-shaped piles of cannon balls were stored. During the First World War, the Arsenal and a barracks for the ward in the hospital barracks located behind Old Mill. In the Second World War, used by Germans as a car repair shop. Until 1986 the building was used by Defence. In the middle of the front shows a picture of all 17th-century weapons that were stored in the building: guns, bullets, pikes and lances.