British Military Headquarters 1952, Hermite Island
Constructed as the command post for Operation Hurricane in 1952, this building is the point from which the first explosion was detonated. It was also the only landsite occupied at the time of the explosion. A steel tower on the western side was used to house monitoring and photographic equipment to record the explosion. Made of steel and corrugated iron, the building is now quite dilapidated. Visitors are asked not to enter the building as it may be unstable.
Do not touch or disturb any materials as they may be radioactive.
Access to the headquarters is via a rough track, accessible from Claret Bay. A landing area, a relic from the military presence, has been cut into the bay's fringing rock.