One look at the riot of spires and statues (about 2000 of them) and it’s easy to see why the style is called Flamboyant Gothic; this third largest Christian church in the world is perhaps that style’s greatest masterpiece. It was begun in 1402, but its façade was not finished until the early 1800s, and the bronze door panels not until 1966.
A quick look inside is not enough; make a circle tour, beginning on the right upon entering. The first side altar holds Bishop d'Intimiano’s Sarcophagus, with outstanding 11th-century stone carving, and the Duomo’s oldest windows, from the Renaissance. In the transept, between the two largest side altars, is the 16th-century tomb of Gian Giacamo de'Medici by Leone Leoni. Off the the semi-circular ambulatory, under the high altar, is the crypt with the tomb of San Carlo Borromeo.
The ambulatory has some of the Duomo’s finest stained glass from the height of that art form, in the 19th century. At the far side, steps lead to the high altar. Behind it, the choir is filled with richly carved panels and misericords, under the seats.
Back in the main church, opposite the Medici tomb, is the 12th-century Trivulzio Candelabra, carved in gold and considered the Duomo’s finest art work.
Hours: Daily 7am-7pm.
Piazza del Duomo
Phone: +39 02 72003768