The Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul
The Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul is a place of worship that has been at the heart of Tonbridge for about 900 years. The original Norman church, built in the early twelfth century, forms the chancel of the present building.
The church was enlarged and altered over the following centuries. In 1820, alterations were made to the nave roof and the north aisle, and the south gallery was built. Box pews were installed, but were later removed in the 1870s. Until the nineteenth century, the Parish of St Peter and St Paul was the largest in Kent. The Austen family worshipped here.
Jane's grandfather William returned to Tonbridge, as a surgeon. Although Elizabeth Weller and her son Thomasare believed to be buried in the churchyard, William is the only one whose grave remains marked. It is in the north aisle, but covered by the carpet for preservation. A photograph of the grave is on the north wall. As you will see, he is not buried alone, but with his wife, Rebecca Walter, who died after giving birth to their fourth child.