Pooley Bridge dates back to an ancient settlement on the River Eamont, situated at the point where it leaves Ullswater. The village derives its name from a large pool which once existed in the River Eamont, just before it flowed out of Ullswater. The present stone bridge which spans the Eamont was built in the sixteenth century and provides some excellent views up the River towards the lake.
In the past Pooley Bridge was a busy market town with a fishing and farming community. The village has both hotels, guest house accomodation, a number of well appointed campsites and a Tourist Information Centre. The village church, St. Paul's which stands in the main street dates from 1868.