6.0 miles, Half day
What better way to begin a hike than by skimming across the crystal clear waters of Echo Lakes, which nestle in between some of the highest peaks in the Lake Tahoe area. Hail your water taxi from Echo Chalet on the shores of the Lower Echo Lake, and you'll soon find yourself deep in the Desolation Wilderness.
• 800ft (from 7,420 - 7,800ft)
• The water taxi runs from Labor Day to Memorial Day - check out more information in the Echo Lake Chalet link included in this guide.
• Late summer is the best time to visit, especially if you were thinking about taking a quick dip in one of the lakes.
• Wilderness permits for both day and overnight hikes are required, both of which are available at Echo Chalet.
• There is a phone system by the Upper Echo Lake boat dock should you wish to call for a return taxi back to the East end of the lakes.
• Shorten your hike to 2.5 miles by just utilizing the return route from the Upper Echo Lake boat dock.
• Lengthen your route with a trip to the Lake of the Woods or beyond.