Vista Point with a great view of the abandoned lighthouse on the island offshore. Start of boardwalk to the sand dunes. The light station on the island operated between 1872 and 1948. It formed an important part of the navigation aids along the coast south of San Francisco. It was installed as a result of several catastrophic shipwrecks along the nearby coastline. The station contained a fog signal, a light as well as a keeper’s dwelling, tramway, dock, boathouse, and other support facilities. Today the island is closed to visitors and provides an undisturbed seal and bird breeding sanctuary.