What is an EveryTrail Guide?
An EveryTrail Guide is an innovative, mobile- and web-friendly way to experience travel content. We believe that Guides represent the way most people will want to plan for, experience and share their travels now and in the future.
Key Guide Benefits:
- Optimized to consume on-the-go through smart phones, such as the iPhone and Android, as well as for pre-trip planning purposes on EveryTrail.com
- Based on precise routes (“GPS tracks”) with interactive maps, Guides also have detailed Points of Interest (POIs), contain rich media, and offer the ability to interact and share journeys – all of which combine to give users a useful, fun and unique experience.
- Created by EveryTrail community members, professional writers and bloggers, media organizations and publishing companies. Guide writers have traveled the routes they describe in their Guides and have the opportunity to share in the revenues generated by the sale of the Guides.
Back to top
- Original content from professional publishers or freelance writers
- Detailed Points of Interest (POIs)
- A track on a detailed map
- Rich media, such as pictures and video
- Downloadable to the phone (iPhone and Android) coming in June 2010
- Community involvement (voting and comments)
- Weather and other relevant information
Are there criteria or minimum requirements for writing a Guide?
Yes, thanks for asking! Please see our Guide page for examples (http://www.everytrail.com/guides
) and refer to the guidelines below.
All Guides should follow the basic framework:
- Written in English (we hope to add support for other languages in the future)
- Guides contain your original content (not copied from other sites) and/or tracks, photos and videos from EveryTrail
- Have wide appeal and be written for a diverse, global audience
- Contain a track that you create in 1 of 3 ways:
- with the EveryTrail app
- with a dedicated GPS device OR
- drawn manually using our web tool
- In the title or subtitle, include the relevant country, state or province (e.g., Ireland, British Columbia)
- Contain at least 5-7 Points of Interest (POIs)
- Contain media, such as pictures and/or video (your original content or EveryTrail's) associated with the POIs
- Contain a compelling overview for someone interested in following this itinerary
- Contain tips and suggestions
- Not include URLs in the overview or POI descriptions. Instead, we have a dedicated field for web links and other resources in the Guide Authoring Tool, entitled “Other Resources.” Authors can still include addresses, phone numbers and other info in the body of the POI descriptions (e.g., restaurant and hotel content information, museum operating hours, etc).
- You can bundle a set of your Guides into a package for sale.
- Typically, we ask that authors bundle three (3) or more of their Guides into a bundle.
- If you have published at least one (1) Guide, you will be presented with the option to create a bundle when you go to "My Guides."
- If you have an advertiser that you would like to associate with a Guide(s), please contact us to set that up.
How do Guides get submitted and approved?
1. You need to become a member of EveryTrail (free), by registering here
2. If you are already a member, you need to read and electronically sign the Guide agreement here
3. Try your hand at creating a Guide
, following the above guidelines .
4. When you are ready for us to review your Guide(s), click "Submit for Review."
5. Our team will review your Guide submission and provide feedback, edits or suggestions within 1-3 days or we will simply approve the Guide and make it live.
6. Once your Guide is live, you will see it online and in the EveryTrail mobile app as available for purchase.
Can I make changes to my Guide or bundle of Guides once it/they are published?
Yes. You can login and make edits to your Guide(s) at any time.
Back to top